As a Junior Designer with Paper Crane, you are involved with design tasks from conception to completion. You will participate in producing preliminary versions of designs, engaging in design solutions and processing feedback to improve designs.
If you are passionate about helping see organizations succeed, are creative about finding the best visual solutions for clients all over the world, then we are for you!
Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite:
- Adobe XD
Nice To Have
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- After Effects
- Understanding of basic website and online design functionality
- Understanding or knowledge of Webflow and it’s capabilities
As a Jr. Graphic designer you may be asked to produce any or all of the following:
- Print Sales Materials
- Website layouts
- Large format printing solutions like displays and vehicle wraps
- Custom illustrations
- Digital ads
- Book/Novel layouts and covers
- Understanding project requirements and ideas and asking questions
- Collaborating with the team to launch projects within deadlines
- Using feedback from the team to improve
- Knowledge of design techniques
- Ability to work well within a team as well as remotely
- A talent for creativity and problem-solving
- Understanding of solid UX/UI
- Ability to think creatively and apply ideas to solve practical business problems using visuals
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to schedule and manage your own time effectively to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
Education & Experience
- 1+ years experience either with another organization or on your own.
- Qualified Education with diploma or degree in Graphic Design, Design, UX/UI or Visual Communications.
- Extremely self-motivated
- Keen desire to explore for the best possible solutions
- Excellent communications skills
- Willingness to collaborate in a team environment
24 hrs per week
$30,000 (equivalent to $24.51/hr and will shift to $50,000/yr when moved to full-time).
Benefits of working with us
- Packaged benefit plan
- Hybrid WFH model - up to 2 days of WFH per week
- Minimum of 8 hours in-office per week for part-time.
- 9 hour days from Mon-Thurs, 8 hours Friday, every other Friday off for full-time
- 3 weeks of PTO to start
- 1 month of work away time to start (not including company work away)
- Yearly bonus structure
Paper Planes and Trains
Every ~18 months we organize an optional company work away. As an example, our last trip took our team to the country side of France for all of July, 2022. The company covered the entirety of the stay for staff - 31 days in a house near Deauville - and put an additions $500 towards flights. With that subsidy, some members of our staff were able to fly to France for half of the summer for as little as $200 and food cost.
As of this moment, we are in the early planning phases for our next work away in the first quarter of 2024, likely to either South East Asia or Japan.
** Disclaimer: We are attempting to build a local team. We love remote work, but we utilize a hybrid model of work-from-home, work away, and in-office hours as we are of the belief that much of the creativity that drives our work is started with face-to-face brainstorming. With that being said, we will give precedence to applicants that are Calgary-based, and will work that into our considerations when sending out interview requests.